Macy's Great Tree comes down... literally | News
ATLANTA -- It took a lot longer than planned to take down Macy's Great Tree at Lenox Square Mall.
The boom broke on the crane lowering the tree Wednesday morning, landing the 60-foot Georgia White Pine on its side. No one was injured.
PHOTOS | Macy's Great Tree won't go down easy
Drivers on Lenox Road could see the tree partially hanging over the edge of the store's roof for hours. The impact of the tree smashing onto the roof punched a hole in the roof above the Men's Store. At least one window was broken.
The store stayed closed duringclean up.
Crews cut the tree apart in sections and lowered the pieces to the ground during a dismantling process that lasted until nearly 7:30 p.m.
The Lenox Macy's was expected to reopen Thursday, but the Men's Store portion of Macy's will remain closed during repairs.
During the 2011 holiday season, the first Macy's Great Tree snapped while being lifted onto the rooftop, and the store had to go with a Plan B tree.
Upcoming Events near Buckhead
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds
- Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon Will Attract Thousands to Atlanta for Eighth Annual Running