BUCKHEAD: Macy's Christmas tree snaps during crane lift | News
ATLANTA -- The 64th Macy's Christmas tree arrived at Lenox Mall early Sunday morning to a small crowd of onlookers who were there to honor an Atlanta tradition.
Unfortunately, the event ended in disappointment for everyone.
Crews began hoisting the 60-foot, 11,000-pound tree until a distinct cracking noise immediately halted the effort.
"This particular tree was extremely dry," said Melissa Goff of Macy's. "Rather than bring the tree up and have something happen, we are choosing to go to a Plan B tree. We will be back on schedule in a couple days."
In 2004, another tree broke while it was being lifted to the roof of the Macy's store at Lenox.
The annual tree lighting is scheduled for Thanksgiving night.
Upcoming Events near Buckhead
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hunger Walk marks 30th anniversary Sunday
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds